For many churches, Christmas Eve is a mixed blessing. On one hand, it’s an exciting time with lots of guests. On the other, it can be very stressful with so many things to plan. There are a number of details that you have to remember. We’ve learned with these kinds of things to make a list of what we learn each year so that we aren’t starting from scratch every Christmas.
So here’s a Christmas Eve Service Checklist we use at Redemption Gateway.
- Design and print outdoor banner with service times (3-4 weeks out)
- Design and print Invite cards (3 weeks out)
- Design and send Facebook Invitations (2 weeks out)
- Special e-mail invitation (1-2 weeks out)
- Trees — lobby and stage (4 weeks out)
- Other decorations, signage and Christmas “flair” (4 weeks out)
- Other stage decor (poinsettias, fixtures, etc.) (2 weeks out)
- Buy and prepare “Happy Birthday Jesus” cake
- Crayons & coloring sheets for kids
- Giveaway toy for kids
- Staffing — make sure all regular jobs are accounted for (sign setup, ushers, bulletin “stuffers,” etc)
- Communicate any special instructions regarding when to open / close doors
- Food / refreshments for staff and volunteers
- Assign someone to close up building
- Proactively manage temperature if services are at different-than-normal times
What would you add to the list?